Workshop-Intermediate Glass Mosaics - Focus on Design (APR 7, 14, and 21, mornings)
FRIDAYS, APR 7, 14, and 21 (9am-noon)
Do you get stuck, facing a blank substrate? In this 3-session workshop, you will learn how to translate inspiration into a workable mosaic design. You will learn:
- Strategies for modifying your inspiration into a pattern that is suitable for mosaics, whether it’s a photo or an abstract concept.
- Tips on color selections, creating contrast and shadows, and working with transparent and translucent glass.
- More techniques for cutting and shaping glass and
- Steps to keep you moving, including creating an organized palette of tesserae
This class is for INTERMEDIATE or ADVANCED mosaic artists - those who already know how to cut and nip glass - who are working with art glass, NOT other materials.
The instructor provides handouts, adhesive (Weldbond), scrap glass, and tools. However, students will likely want their own tools (wheeled nippers, glass cutter, and running pliers) for homework.
- Their own 2-D substrate (preferably wood primed with KILZ or a wooden canvas), smaller than 16” x 16”
- Images of their inspirations (photos, drawings, etc.)
- A selection of flat art glass (any stained glass, vitreous glass, glass mini tiles, etc.) to create their mosaic
- Their own tools (optional)
- If you are not sure of what tesserae you want to use, come to the first session to work on your DESIGN and then you can get your tesserae before the second session.
Three sessions; total class time 9 hours.
LIMITED to 6 participants. This is a one-time only workshop. Minimum age 18.
Class taught at Blue Raven Art School (720 E Prince Rd).
Class and workshop registration fees are non-refundable. If you miss a class, you can take another of the same value within 3 months of the original one or give it to someone else. However, you need to send me an email to make these changes.